Friday, October 8, 2010

Die Antwoord - Evil Boy

For those of you out of the loop on this, I'm truly sorry I'm the one to bring this to your attention. It's taken me quite a few go's to really get what the hell these guys are all about so bare with me. Being from South Africa, these guys had epic proportions of hype in the UK early this year. I suppose with the Grime scene what it is over there, it's not that big of a surprise that a sound like this trashy hip hop was so big early on. So somehow with only a self released EP in 2009, they made it onto the Coachella bill in April. Naturally, with a spot there the bloggeratizi & who's-who of LA media were all over these guys. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2010 year end lists galore showing these guys as one of THE MOST hyped bands on the Internet. To put it lightly Die Antwoord is f**king weird...yes, that is lightly which has definitely added to the attention.

Don't expect to fully understand any of their songs, interviews, or blog posts as most of it is in Afrikaans. And even when they are speaking English its so full of African slang you'd be hard pressed to really get it. I watched my first Die Antwoord videos with 2 S.Africans who were literally crying on the floor laughing while I just stared in disgust at how disturbing it all was. I was forwarded this video this morning from the same friends and am still staring in disgust. The difference is now I'm starting to drink the kool-aid. It's got the whole reggaeton, MIA (Mad Decent) vibe going, it's totally trashy and not trying to be anything but that. I could continue, but really, you should just watch this. Good luck.


EVIL BOY (official) from Die Antwoord on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment